The Ministry of Unification recently announced plans to gradually open up access to North Korean media. Currently, North Korean media and websites are blocked online in South Korea under Article 7 of the National Security Act which punishes anyone who “praises, incites or propagates the activities of an antigovernment organization”. This not only hinders research and journalism on North Korean issues but also is unconstitutional as it severely restricts access to information and right to know. Through this seminar at the National Assembly, Open Net and co-hosts seek to find a solution to the situation together with experts in the field.
You can watch the seminar here.
You can view seminar materials here.
*This is a partial translation of Open Net’s original statement in Korean. You can find the full Korean version here. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
|National Security Act Article 7 (Praise, Incitement, etc.)
(1) Any person who praises, incites or propagates the activities of an antigovernment organization, a member thereof or of the person who has received an order from it, or who acts in concert with it, or propagates or instigates a rebellion against the State, with the knowledge of the fact that it may endanger the existence and security of the State or democratic fundamental order, shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than seven years.
(3) Any person who constitutes or joins an organization aiming at the act as referred to in paragraph (1) shall be punished by imprisonment for a definite term of one or more years.
(4) Any person who is a member of the organization as referred to in paragraph (3), and fabricates or circulates any falsies fact as to the matters which threaten to provoke any confusion of social order, shall be punished by imprisonment for a definite term of two or more years.
(5) Any person who manufactures, imports, reproduces, holds, carries, distributes, sells or acquires any documents, drawings or other expression materials, with the intention of committing the act as referred to in paragraph (1), (3) or (4), shall be punished by the penalty as referred to in the respective paragraph.
(6) Any person who has attempted the crime as referred to in paragraph (1) or (3) through (5), shall be punished.
(7) Any person who prepares for or plots the crime as referred to in paragraph (3) with the intention of committing it shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than five years.